Saturday, October 19, 2013

TUTORIAL: Action Man, the Gloves Come Off!

I purchased my one-and-only Action Man in the 1990s. Unfortunately, the only one available with reasonable articulation had these horrible molded "climbing gloves."

"Action Man" Cliff
Recently, I secured a Hall of Fame GI Joe called Wetsuit. His torso was even less posable, but his arms were similar to my Action Man, ending in bare hands. Using the hot water method, I was able to remove both wrist assemblies, intact. The softening of the forearms took longer than it usually does for heads.

This Action Man's forearms got nowhere near as soft when I heated them up, but I was able to remove his gloved wrist assemblies almost completely. The catches at their ends were damaged in the process, though. I was unable to get his forearms soft enough to accept the replacement wrist pins, however, so I reamed out the hole and added minor cross-cuts. Then, I was able to install the replacement hands. When they cooled, his left hand was reasonably tight, but his right was pretty loose. A couple of orthodontic elastics (in the joint) solved that problem...

Prior URLs
http://fuzzhead-poser.u.yuku.com/blog/post/id/904
http://fuzzhead-poser.u.yuku.com/bloggy/post/pid/904

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this method, Studio 126! I've shared your link to this post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete